Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Emma, Carolyn, Riley, and Kyle
This is the Marine Life Video, I don't know why ours isn't in it.
Grass From Savanna-Producer Grevy's Zebra-Consumer Lionesses hunting Zebra-Consumer
Dead Lion Termites-Decomposer Savanna Grass-Producer
Southern White Rhino (Ceratotherium simum simum) - The Wilds, Ohio
1. Grasslands cover about 14 million square miles on the world.
2. Grasslands are located in every continent except Antarctica
3. Even though grasslands are common, they are getting harder and harder to locate
4. There is an average of about 30 inches of rain a year
5. There are three main types of grasslands, climatic, edaphic, and derived.
6. Grasslands are considered the “traditional” biome.
7. There are not many tress of bushes located in the grassland biome. The wind is too strong for trees to survive.
8. Sometimes grasslands are called prairies, savannahs, and steppes.
9. On the grassland, it is called as an “ocean of never ending grass”. There are endless fields and hills of grass, with wildflowers and roaming animals.
10. If grasslands didn’t get as much rain as they did, all grasslands would become deserts.
11. The soil is rich for farming.
12. Most of the grassland is used just for animal grazing.
13. Most praries are now being used to grow cereals, which is a major threat
14. A threat for the savanna is illegal poaching
Pictures of Grasslands:
This is a picture of a typical grassland. There are not that many trees, with a buffalo in the background.
What is endangering Grasslands?
Grasslands may cover about 14 million square miles of the Earth but it is getting harder and harder to locate. One of the main threats grasslands are facing are people are using this open grassy area to make farms. Another way people are using this open area is by making towns. The animals living there are loosing there homes and becoming endangered because the lack of food and space necessary to reproduce. Two animals that are facing extintion are the Pygmy Blue-Tongued Lizard and the Striped Legless Lizard. Also, illegal poaching and hunting is a major threat. Some animals, such as antelopes and bison are endangered by hunting, Hunting occurs in all of the main types of grasslands, steppe, savanna, and prairie and illegal poaching occurs mostly in the savanna, leaving rhinos and elephants very endangered.
This is the Pygmy Blue-Tongued Lizard!
25-75cm of rain each year
hot; dry season
Locations For The Grasslands
This is a picture of Kenya Africa where all the wild life is.
Grassland Food Web
. Digital image. Web. 25 Feb. 2010.
"Main Biomes Page."
. Web. 01 Mar. 2010. <
. New York: Thomson Learning, 1996. Print.
Ricciuti, Edward R.
. New York: Benchmark, 1996. Print.
Biggs, Alton, etal
. Life Science.
New York, NY:McGraw Hill Glencoem 2008. Print.
Lisowski, Marylin, and Linda C. Jones
Science Explorer: Environmental Science.
Needham, MA: Pearson, Prentice hall, 2005.Print.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"